Making your wall mounted reverse cycle an air purifier

Can you filter the air with an AC unit?



Newer AC Units

Recent wall mounted reverse cycle air conditioners include electrostatic filters that can capture smoke. Panasonic call it Nanoe-g and claim it removes 99% of PM2.5, however they only include a test filtering 2 PM2.5 which is very low compared to the 100s we are getting in Canberra.

Graph showing the effect of nanoe-G on PM 2.5 * 4. We can see that nanoe-G has a major effect on PM2.5.


Older AC Units


If you have an older model there is the option of using 3M Filtrete Air Conditioner Filter. This can be added onto your mesh filter to also capture smaller particles. It does restrict airflow by 50%, which I am guessing is why you are meant to not cover the entire filter. I ended up using only half of a pack per AC unit, leaving 25mm free on either side, and not covering a smaller mesh filter.

Installed in my wall unit
I have tried testing the air going into and coming out of the unit with my particle meter and I couldn't find a meaningful difference. I have noticed the readings in the room though are lower than I'm use to so maybe its working. Some of the Amazon reviews show filthy looking filters after only a week, so it is capturing something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog